What Materials May Be Requested?
- Books and periodical or newspaper articles that are not owned by VVC library.
- Materials that have been declared lost or missing from the collection.
What Materials May Not Be Requested?
- Items that are listed in the library catalog as available.
- Items that are charged out to another patron. Please place a hold for these items at the Circulation Desk.
- Materials that are owned by the VVC Library that can be found in the Reference Department, Special Collections, or on reserve.
- Entire issues or volumes of magazines or journals.
- Textbooks, reference books, videos, cassettes, CD/DVD's, or rare materials.
Costs and Fines
- We attempt to borrow material for free. If we are not able to obtain items for free, the requester will be notified to determine if they are willing to pay the cost. The library pays for postage and mailing insurance in most cases.
- A fine of 25¢ per day is charged for each overdue item.
- Damaged or lost materials will include the replacement cost plus a minimum $10 processing fee.
Time Frame and Loan Period
- An interlibrary loan request can take up to three to four weeks to fill. Extenuating factors include locating a library that is willing to lend the item, staffing resources to fill the request, and the timeliness of postal service.
- The loan period, renewal options, and special conditions are determined by the lending library. The loan period is typically three weeks. The requester may keep photocopies.
How to Place ILL Requests?
Requesters must be currently enrolled VVC students, faculty, or staff and must have an unrestricted patron registration with the library. Request forms are available at the Reference Desk. Requests can not be taken over the telephone.
Information we will need to complete the following requests include:
- Book: Complete title, author, and publication date.
- Magazine, Journal, or Newspaper: Complete magazine title and date of the issue, volume and/or issue number, article page numbers, and author and title of the article. Also please provide the source of the citation or where you found the reference to the article. (*Incomplete citations may result in unfilled requests.)
Picking Up and Returning Materials
The requester will be contacted by phone when the materials arrives in the library. All items must be picked up and returned to the Circulation Desk (ext. 2262).